Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Props for KTEL

Coming back from Chania this evening (I had gone there to pick up some cosmetics that I had ordered, and to look for some things I've been unable to find locally), I was reminded that I am pretty impressed with the bus service here.

I don't really have occasion to ride it all that often, but each time I have it has been ridiculously punctual (Christine would appreciate THAT!), and very user-friendly.

I often avoid taking public transporation when I travel because I find that it can be somewhat intimidating and confusing, but the schedules and prices are clearly posted, there's a person that comes around and takes your money and makes change once you've boarded, and that same person even checks with people as to where they plan to disembark and then let's the driver know to stop there (they have little call buttons, but I guess a lot of tourists don't necessarily know when their stop is coming up).

Granted, it takes about twice the time to get anywhere as it would driving, but when you don't want to deal with parking and the other hassles that can accompany driving, it's a very nice alternative.

I will say that this evening's ride home was rather unpleasant because the guy sitting in front of me was emitting strong odors that fluctuated between BO and the smell my cat emits when he expresses his anal glands, as well as coughing up a storm. Hopefully it wasn't swine flu.

1 comment:

geeky dad said...

Please catch the next wedding re-enactment and tell us about it!