Friday, August 14, 2009

Mike stopped by on his afternoon break and took me for a ride on his scooter. We drove up into the hills behind Kastelli, and I was familiar with the first part of the road we took, since it's on the way to Kissamos Cats, which is where I boarded Rikki and Cleo when Merit and I went to Santorini. After passing through Polyrinia however, the roads and villages were new to me.


Starting out.








Lonely little building on the ridge.




Olive groves and churches here are like strip malls in Florida...you can't go very far without seeing one. Actually, you can't turn around here without seeing an olive tree. They pretty much cover the entire landscape. Reminds me that I need to start exploring some of the local, home-made olive oils instead of continuing to buy the grocery store brand, per a reader's suggestion.


I just liked the way this building looked, with the flowering vine climbing up the side. Unfortunately the sun was shining right into the display screen, so I couldn't tell that I wasn't getting the interesting wood and stone work that I was trying to capture on the second level behind the balcony.


THIS is a very special church.
OK, maybe it isn't...I just felt like I should write something instead of just posting yet another church picture.
I'm sure it's probably special to someone.




The house itself isn't particularly interesting, but what a view the owners have!






The port of Kastelli.








The eastern-most part of the town of Kastelli. I wish I'd have zoomed in further, although there really isn't anything of interest here other than some neighborhood streets.. If I decide to stay an extra six months, I'll be moving into an apartment in town in order to be more centrally located since I'll be giving up the rental car after November.



Me on the back of the bike, my left arm looking disturbingly Pop Eye-ish at this angle. Must be all the horta (boiled greens usually served with lemon juice and olive oil).






No comments: