Monday, August 17, 2009

Bed Bugs...Really???

Yes, Kyrstyn. Bed bugs.

I let Mike have the bed the other night when he crashed here after our tequilla-fest, and he awoke the next morning complaining of being all itchy. I, of course, have been itchy since I've been here so it never really crossed my mind. At any rate, I did some reading, looked at some pictures, and after having washed the "mattress cover" (which was basically just a thin, nasty, worn piece of material that didn't really even fit over the whole bed) I have determined that bed bugs are indeed present in my mattress.

For starters, while I was stripping the bed of all its coverings, two little things that sorta looked like silverfish but not really climbed out onto the bed frame.

OK, we're being calm now...there are lots of bugs here and it's no big deal that a couple of them may have been lurking around my bed, right?

But then, when I pulled that crappy piece of fabric that was covering the mattress out of the washing machine and went to hang it on the line outside, I saw what amounted to a graveyard full of fully and half-formed insectile creatures, clinging on in death to the fabric that housed either lots of lint, or the remains of god knows what.

I am thourougly disgusted right now, and trying to figure out where I'm going to sleep tonight. The air mattress is a BITCH to inflate, but I really don't know that I'll get anything resembling sleep if I try to stay in my usual bed. I have, of course, thrown the mattress cover away, and I've double-sheeted the bed and put a blanket on top. Maybe I can do it if I just sleep on top of everything, with a sheet over me. I mean...I've been doing it for this long, right? Or I could always sleep outside on one of the loungers, but that would entail cleaning all the spidey webs off of them.

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

1 comment:

geeky dad said...

Never thought of bed bugs. I used to wonder if that was what was causing my Winter itching and read up on them on the web. It tured out we didn't have them, but as I recall if you do they are not easy to eliminate. I'm sure by now you have googled "how to get rid of bed bugs." Well, at least now that you have identified the problem you have a clear course of action. Good luck.