Sunday, August 16, 2009

Any Excuse for a Party

August 15 is Assumption day in Greece, as well as Name Day for anyone named Theotokos, Maria, Despina, Thespina, or Marios (there may be some that I'm missing, I just found these on the internet.) Certain days are designated for each saint, and there is a celebration for those who are named after these saints, which apparently is celebrated in lieu of birthdays (or at least in addition to them...it's a big deal). There are several festivities going on in the area over the course of the next few days...Mike and I skipped the church functions and headed down to the waterfront on Friday night instead, where various vendors set up kiosks selling their wares, and there is music and revelry and all that good stuff. We walked the length of the stalls, bought some very expensive peanuts coated with honey and sesame seeds, then hit the crowded cafes for some good old fashioned drinking. I enjoyed the novelty of tequilla shots accompanied by orange slices and cinnamon versus the old lemon and salt. Well, I enjoyed them until the next morning, at any rate.


Didn't buy any honey because I already have a big jar at home, but it was really tempting (everything was, but I restrained myself).








We did get some of these, which are like doughnut holes on steroids. In a good way. Yum, but the sugar followed by alcohol probably went a long way towards my sluggish recovery on Saturday.






I really wanted to buy some of these but figured they'd get crushed before the evening was over.

The waterfront bars and cafes were pretty packed, although I ceased to notice much after the third (and last!) tequilla shot. And yes...that is red wine on the table, too. What WAS I thinking???

No comments: