Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd





I almost gave up on it before even reading it. I had pulled it off the shelf of books that lived here before I arrived, wanting to hold off on the other books I have waiting that I really want to read (delayed gratification and all that). However, three pages into it I was incredibly annoyed by the antiquated language and bizarre text (it seemed that every other word was capitalized, and I spent some time trying to figure out if there was any method to this style but couldn't discern one).

Anyway, I thrust it back on the bookshelf last night with irritation, and was just about to ask here on my blog why on earth a book would be written in such a way (I'm not exactly what you would call erudite, so perhaps it was just my ignorance) and when I opened the book mid-way to take a picture of the text, I realized that it was just the first chapter that was written in that annoying manner.

So...I shall attempt to read this book which was first published in 1985 and was apparently the No. 1 best seller for a while, and maybe when I'm done I'll even do a book report.

No comments: