Saturday, November 7, 2009

Tamam Taverna

My disappointment at finding Semiramis Taverna closed for the season quickly dissipated when my neighbor led us to this place, which is located on the main street that runs behind the waterfront.

We shared appetizers of giant beans in a mustard sauce and dakos. Dakos is a traditional cretan dish made of rusk, fresh crushed/pureed tomatoes and myzithra cheese, which I had tried once before and wasn't fond of, but which has been redeemed for me at Tamam. The beans were excellent. She had the a pie filled with pork and several other ingredients that I can't recall right now, which was huge with a perfectly browned crust. I was originally going to order that, but when I saw the tas kebab...veal in a tomato sauce with raisins, various spices and yogurt, I went for that instead. I'm glad I did, it was one of the tastiest dishes I've had in a while. We split a 1/2 liter of cabernet sauvignon, and the entire bill came to only 30 euros.

I will definitely be visiting this restaurant again, and I wish I had known about it when Lisa was here because I think she would have really enjoyed it.

By the way, I snagged the photo above from Matt Barrett's Greece Travel Guide, which is an excellent resource. I'm going to provide the link to his page on the right-hand side of mine when I'm finished posting this.

No comments: