Saturday, June 13, 2009

Today

Nothing particularly exciting happened.

I went grocery shopping in anticipation of my friend Betti's visit. I'll pick her up at the bus station in town tomorrow. I met her online about 7 years ago when we were both planning a trip to Madagascar. We never did end up meeting on that trip, but we've kept in touch, I visited her once in London, and now she's coming here as the final part of a visit to the Greek islands. I'm looking forward to it, not only because I haven't seen her in ages, but because it's awfully quiet around here with just me and the cats.

I also spent a few hours at the beach near my house. There was a strong breeze blowing that kicked up some pretty fun waves, and I spent a while diving through those before drying off and heading home to Skype with Debbie. It was my first "Skype" date since arriving, and it worked well overall. Not too many delays.

Finally got in touch with my contact at the vineyard, and although she's out of the country until July 6, she said she's going to have their oenologist give me a call to have me come out and see the vineyard/winery. Now that I'm here and have a better idea of the geography, I'm thinking that I may not be able to devote as much time to the "internship" at the vineyard as I had hoped. I didn't leave DC to find an hour commute each way! But maybe I can put in a day a week or something...we'll see.

Cleo went outside on the patio for a short while, chewed on some fern, sniffed around and generally enjoyed herself. Now she doesn't seem to want to be inside anymore. Go figure.

Here's what I had for dinner tonight: Salami and some rusk w/ myzithra (a soft Greek cheese) and bruchetta made of tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic, olive oil, thyme and salt. I liked the texture, but the cheese was a little bland and didn't hold up to the onions and garlic. Maybe next time I'll try feta.

No comments: