Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Ugh.


I had a dream last night that I was eating bugs. I didn't want to, but they were being offered to me as a delicacy by someone and it would have been rude to refuse. The bugs in my dream were akin to very large, thick dragonflies, about 12 inches long.

So I ate several pieces of one, and I didn't enjoy it at all...the texture was thick and rubbery and the flavor pungent in some way I can't describe.

Tonight I reheated the leftovers from the cuttelfish stew I made last night, and as I dug in I realized that this was what the dragonflies in my dream tasted like. I tried to be rational and do the whole "mind over matter" thing, telling myself that this was cuttelfish and spinach ragu, not big, meaty winged creatures, and to just get over it. After about 10 bites I finally gave up...it was disgusting.

Not wanting to waste a perfectly good plate of food, I scraped it into one of those disposable aluminum tins and carried it out to the dumpster with me, planning to leave it on the ground by the bin if there was no one around to see. Surely there are plenty of hungry critters in the neighborhood who would welcome these scraps, even if only the rats.

On my way to the dumpster I found a kitty, gave him the old "psssst" and he was at my heels in no time. However, when I put the container on the ground, he sniffed, backed away as though offended and sat back on his haunches as if to say, "You have got to be kidding me."

So, either I am a worse cook than I thought, or that cat had the same dream that I did last night.

Either way, I think I'm off cuttelfish for a while.

No comments: