Saturday, December 19, 2009

Chicken in yogurt tomato sauce with roasted eggplant


Thanks to Helene for cluing me in that I can use yogurt in lieu of cream for making "cream" sauces.

Grilled eggplant seasoned with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Sauteed chicken w/ fresh garlic and crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper and two bay leaves.

Plain yogurt seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin.

I topped the eggplant with a bit of the yogurt sauce once it was out of the oven, then mixed the remaining yogurt sauce in with the chicken/tomato mixture once I removed it from the heat.

Served over rice.

I thought it turned out really well, and was particularly happy with the eggplant/yogurt sauce combo.

I see looking back at the recipe that it seems that I used an awful lot of garlic, but I'm one of those people who believes that there is no such thing as too much garlic! Perhaps anyone fortunate enough to wake up next to me the following morning would disagree...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Sounds good to eat too.
Snow here up to 14 inches now. Lots more to come according to the weather guessers...gotta go shvel again.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kyrstyn! I'm stranded in London because of the Eurostar problems so I will probably spend Christmas alone here. Even if I get a new ticket now it's still snowing in England and France and I don't want to spend a whole day on a train running slowly.

Did you like your sauce with yoghourt?

H.

Kirstyn said...

Helene,

Yeah, the yogurt sauce worked really well, and even reheated well...I had the leftovers last night! I'm sorry to hear that you have run into problems with your travel plans, I guess we will both be spending Christmas alone this year!!

K