Monday, December 7, 2009

On The Run: Anzac Escape and Evasion in Enemy Occupied Crete

It's what I'm reading now. I'm about 1/2 way through and thoroughly enjoying it. Because I am no longer inclined towards book reports ever since I didn't have to do them anymore after the 4th grade, I'm coping verbatim from the back cover of the book here:

When the order to surrender was given after the Battle of Crete in 1941, over 6000 Australian, British and New Zealand soldiers were left behind on the south coast. Some escaped immediately on abandoned naval barges or took to the hills. But the vast majority was marched back over the White Mountains to makeshift POW camps.

Many escaped, relying on Cretan mountain villages to shelter and guide them. The relationships forged between these troops and their Cretan helpers are remembered to this day.

Drawing on previously unpublished memoirs, including a detailed diary kept by co-author Ian Frazer's Australian officer father, On The Run is a remarkable and moving picture of heroism and endurance.


I'll only add that I find the diary entries to be very entertaining and interesting, and that I am once again reminded of this island's incredible history.

No comments: