Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Eve, and a few other odds & ends

Mike and I went into Chania to have dinner at Tamam last night, and I snapped a few photos along the way from the car to the taverna.







Yes, they are actually ice-skating here, although "skating" may be a bit optimistic. To give the kiddies credit, they were given skates with very dull blades, probably difficult to make fancy moves in them. Probably much safer for all involved, too.











































One of several restaurants/tavernas that are still open on the harbor this time of year.






But other than that it was very quiet on the waterfront.







Tamam Taverna. We got there early, around 8pm so there were no other diners yet. Greeks don't usually eat until after 10pm.







I doubt I would have noticed this if Mike hadn't pointed it out...around Christmas time they tack 8% onto all bills as a Christmas bonus for the staff. I certainly have no problem with that, especially considering that two appetizers, two main dishes and a half liter of red wine only came to 32 euros even with the additional charge. A bargain! Mike ordered my favorite, the Tas Kebab, and I tried something new...baby goat with staka cheese. Yum! Although I seriously doubt there's a bad dish on their menu.


Lots of pretty lights.







I took this picture this morning when I went to the butcher to get some lamb for a stew I'll be making for guests. Nothing like a dead pig's head with a fallen-off ear and blood coming from the nose to get ya in the holiday spirit! But hey, I think he really enjoyed that soft drink they left for him.


My Greek teacher gave me this when I had my lesson this morning. You can't tell from the picture, but the little snowman is actually a little stuffed guy, sewn onto the pillow. I love it:-)

No comments: