Friday, January 1, 2010

The Stark Family


My greek tutor recently gave me an assignment to write a profile on a family I know. I chose my Aunt Katie's family, and she was kind enough to give me a rundown on what life in the Stark household is like. I told her I'd give her a copy when I was done, so I'm typing it up here for her. Unfortunately I have been unable to get my keyboard to add accent marks above the letters which are emphasized, so this is technically incorrect (the picture is the actual completed, handwritten assignment, with corrections by my teacher) but I thought it would be helpful to me to practice my typing in Greek anyway. Below the Greek version is the English translation, in which I may have deviated from time to time from exactly what Katie told me, but which was the best I could do given my very limited vocabulary/grammar. Αpologies for any embellishments or non-truths!! Thanks for your help with this, Katie.

Η Κατερινα ειναι η θεια μου. Ειναι παντρεμενι με τον Μαρτιν, και εχουν δυο κορες, η Τζακελιν και ν Ασχλη. Εχουν δυο σκυλους, επισnς.

Η Κατερινα ειναι σαραντα εφτα χρονων και ο Μαρτιν ειναι σαραντα τεσσαρων. Η Κατερινα δουλευει στην κλινικη και ο Μαρτιν ειναι δικηγορος. Η Τζακελιν ειναι εντεκα χρονων και η Ασχλη ειναι εννια. Ειναι μαθητριες, και η Τζακελιν παιζει με την ορχηστρα του σχολειου, και η Ασχλη τραγουδει με τον χορο.


Η Κατερινα ξυπναει στισ πεντε και μιση και ο Μαρτιν στισ εξι και μιση. Δουλευουν απ' τις οχτω το πρωι ως τις πεντε το απογευμα.


Το σαββατοκυριακο, η Κατερινα γυμναζεται, ο Μαρτιν παιζει γκολφ, και τα κορτισια ψηνουν. Την Κυριακη η οικογενεια πηγαινει στην εκκλησια μαζι.


Ζουνε στον Πορτ Τζαρλετ, στν Φλοριδα. Το σπιτι τους ειναι διπλα σ'ενα ποταμι.


English translation:

Katie is my aunt. She is married to Martin, and they have two daughters, Jacqueline and Ashley. They also have two dogs.

Katie is 47 and Martin is 44. Katie works in a health clinic and Martin is a lawyer. Jacqueline is 11 and Ashley is 9. They are students, and Jacqueline plays with the school orchestra, and Ashley sings in the chorus.

Katie wakes up at 5:30am and Martin at 6:30am. They work from 8:00am until 5:00pm.

On weekends, Katie exercises, Martin plays golf and the girls bake. On Sundays they all go to church together.

They live in Port Charlotte, Florida. Their house is next to a river.

(Note: I have no idea if Martin really plays golf on the weekends, I made it up!)

No comments: