Saturday, March 20, 2010

St. Patrick's Day in Rethymno

After dropping my bag at the Hotel Civitas upon arrival, I met Apostoli for coffee at a cafe on the waterfront, then dinner at a really nice, quiet little family run place in the center. Afterward we headed to the The Punch Bowl, an Irish pub owned by his friends Christos and Geraldine. Geraldine is the "Irish" factor - she's been here for many years now, and although I don't recall exactly the quote she recited to me the other night, I recall the gist and I love it: "If you want to waste a life and do it well, come to Crete". Which I took to mean that the days, weeks, months and years just sort of flow together, and no one is too concerned about making "something" of themselves, because plain old existence here is satisfying enough.


Me with my Irish on. Everyone who came to the bar got a free hat and t-shirt, and although the hat will go in the "memorabilia" box once I'm back home, the t-shirt is going to work fabulously as a sleep-shirt.




Apostoli with his Irish on. Everyone was Irish tonight!







Eleni, one of the waitresses, who was as amazingly fast, efficient and friendly as she was when I was here for the first time at Carnaval. She somehow managed to look like she was having fun whilst trying to serve up the large crowd that eventually descended upon the Punch Bowl.



Christos and Geraldine.







Trying to capture the atmosphere inside without a flash.







Me and Apostoli, who is truly a generous host. Interesting as well, I could listen to his stories for hours!






Everyone was in the spirit.







Eileen, Geraldine's friend from Ireland who visits regularly this time of year. Check out the drink...a punch made of various liquors and juices, of which I enjoyed a small free sample upon arrival, but then steered clear of because it tasted WAY too smooth and easy to drink. I knew I might end up in serious trouble, so I switched to beer, but apparently Eileen is up to the task:-)






I was supposed to meet Apostoli back at the bar the following morning for coffee with Christos, Geraldine and Eileen, but my bed was feeling very comfy and I remembered that breakfast came with the price of the room, so I called Apostoli and rescheduled our meeting time for lunch. And then I called reception and asked them to bring my breakfast to the room.


Fortunately I got a sea-view this time!











After lunch on the 18th, Apostoli walked with me to the bus station and explained that these yellow grids are to assist blind people. I don't know if I have seen these elsewhere? Surely I must have, but I don't recall it and I thought it was quite clever.

All said and done, another thoroughly enjoyable weekend in Rethymno and I really hope to be able to get back once more before returning to the US at the end of May, although I don't know if time will allow it. I just realized today that I have only a little over two months left here!!!!

No comments: