Tuesday, March 9, 2010

CIC Coach Excursion, 28 February


I really shouldn't have gone. I had come down with an intense headache and fever the night before, coupled with chills and achy muscles - classic flu symptoms. However I had been looking forward to this trip all month, and it would have been the third time I had made arrangements to meet with Albert Van Elst of the CIC and then not been able to do so, so I was determined to drug up and go. The moon was still up when I left my house at 5:45am to catch the 6am bus to Hania, where I would then catch the 7:30am bus to Rethymno, which stopped in Georgiopouli, where the bulk of the group was meeting.
I managed to make it through most of the day feeling relatively well. We visited the Arkadi Monasteri first, followed by the village of Margarites where they make pottery, then a cave near the village of Anoiya, and then a big taverna for lunch.

Sadly it was during lunch that my condition took a nose-dive, and I was barely able to make it through the main course before finally excusing myself. I had hoped to be able to retire to the bus, but it was locked up so I sat outside for a while before coming back into the restaurant because it was too cold outside. I sat at a chair in the back of the place while I waited for everyone else to finish their meal, wishing I could better enjoy the live music being played by Vasilis Skoulas, a very well known Cretan musician.
The bus ride home was spent sleeping, sweating out my fever and apparently snoring at some point (I woke myself up and looked around self-consciously, realizing that only those closest to me had been subjected to the loud snort that emitted from my gaping mouth...lovely).

Despite feeling like crap, I got a few pictures and met some very nice people.

And I hope that this poor little goat was able to meet up with his mother again at some point. We frightened them on our approach to the cave and the mother hopped over a fence that the little guy was unable to breach, so he just ended up on the roof of this shack looking helplessly at his mother on the other side.

Sorry this post isn't more informative, there really is an interesting story surrounding the history of the monasteri, and the village of Anoiya, and I'd recommend further reading on both subjects...just not here:-/

My flu led to pneumonia and I ended up getting to experience the Greek medical system first-hand, and I can only say wonderful things about the emergency unit at the hospital in Hania. Quick, efficient and thorough - what I thought was going to be a nightmare turned out to be a not at all unpleasant experience. Kudos to them.

No comments: