Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lentil Soup



I don't usually get excited about soup, but I must admit that the batch I cooked up last night was pretty damn tasty.

I boiled 1/2 kilo of lentils for about 10 minutes, then rinsed and drained them.

In a large pot, I cooked garlic and onions in olive oil for a few minutes, then added the lentils, two grated tomatoes, enough water to cover the lentils, three bay leaves, salt, pepper, fennel, dill and paprika (heavier on the dill and fennel). I let this cook uncovered on medium heat for about 30 minutes, adding a bit of water as I went to make up for the evaporation (I suppose I could have just covered it and avoided having to do this?). I also threw in a bit more spice to make up for dilution from the added water. About five minutes before I turned off the heat, I added about a tbsp of vinegar and fresh chopped spinach.

I freaked out a bit when I began eating it because I saw what looked like worms, but realized that for some reason the lentils had begun to sprout while I was cooking them! I don't know if this is normal, I have very little experience with lentils.

Anyway, I really liked the flavoring in this and am looking forward to the leftovers for the next few days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are they the (red) lentils I gave you? Lentils are not supposed to sprout while cooking (they probably started sprouting before, 'inside') but I suppose it's not a problem since we can eat several kinds of bean sprouts. :) I love lentils.

Helene

Kirstyn said...

Helene - they were some new lentils that I bought at the store,and I think they were kind of greenish brown. I agree, I think the sprouts are probably safe:-)