Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pure Happiness



I just opened my last bottle of 2005 Vin de Savoie Mondeuse by Jean Vullien, and the joy of notes of cherry, wildflowers and dried, fallen tree branches is tempered only by the realization that I can't have my wine and drink it, too. I discovered this wine at a Giramondo tasting where one of the Vulliens was actually present, and since then I've purchased a case or more from Potomac wines in Georgetown. The simple and rustic yet bewitching nose is followed by an incredibly food friendly palate... perfectly balanced acidity and tannins. I've enjoyed this wine with a range of foods; tonight it will accompany rosemary and parsley roasted chicken and a simple salad of tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese.

It's not easy to come by; I nabbed the last few bottles that the distributor had available from Potomac several months ago, and have been holding out on drinking the last bottle. I figure tonight was as good as any, since I've only got a few weeks left before I move and I'm not taking any wine with me.

At around $18 a bottle, I think I can safely say that this is my favorite wine in the whole world...one that would definitely accompany my proverbial "last meal".

Santé!

No comments: