Monday, April 12, 2010

Iced Tea


It's not something I typically drink, and definitely not something to be found in abundance on a Greek island (they have the canned Lipton crap, but it's rare to find any fresh-brewed, much to my sister's dismay).

However, I recently brewed up some mountain tea with wild sage that Koula had given me at our last cooking lesson, and I had some left over after pouring my cup, so while it was still hot I added a liberal spoonful of honey and stuck it in the fridge overnight.

I like it!! Just brewed another batch for tomorrow. Hopefully my sister will like it, too!

1 comment:

Biddy said...

Being a Southerner,I am pretty used to drinking iced tea year round, but I especially love to make for company in the summer! Seems to be somewhat of an unusual treat to most of my Greek visitors, but now all my village neighbors have come to expect to have it when they drop in. Actually, they are disappointed if I don't have some already brewed and chilled to offer. Do you have mint growing at your house? I always add a sprig to the glass or crush it with/without the sugar...kind of mint julep style with the crushed ice version and you can even add a shot of Metaxa for an afternoon cocktail. It's also nice to freeze little mint leaves or lemon slices in ice cubes for the tea. One summer I brought iced tea spoons to the ladies of my village for their gifts, must say that the spoons were very well received. My 90 plus year old neighbor, who usually is not one to wax enthusiastic about any gift, mentions them every time I go see her. ( For years and years , all she wanted was "American" emery boards and Bengay ointment, go figure)
I am enjoying reading back through your "Kriti" essays.